We are so excited to be holding the fifth annual Cathy Coop Benefit at the Kclub this year and cannot thank you enough for all of your support. Each year, this is our only fundraiser and we don’t charge individuals to attend the benefit, therefore the funds to help those in need mostly come from our silent and live auction items. As a result, it’s critical that we have enticing items for attendees to bid on, and we would be grateful for anything a business or individual can donate.
The Cathy Coop Fund has been created to honor the life of Cathy Wolterman Coop and benefits patients suffering from primary peritoneal or ovarian cancer who are receiving care from the Markey Cancer Center in Lexington. When Cathy was going through treatment and spoke to others doing the same, she realized there were a lot of people struggling to meet theirs or their families basic needs. It was her desire to set up a fund to help ease this burden.
Since Cathy left us in January 2014, over $160,000 has been raised and one hundred percent of that has gone directly to support patients and families battling this horrible disease. While the money has been used for many different things, some of the examples include: grocery and gas gift cards, tires for someone driving long distance, hotel rooms, meals, childcare and a wheel chair ramp for a patient’s home.
The fifth annual Cathy Coop Benefit will be held on Saturday, November 10th at the K-Club. Not only do we want to invite all K-Club members to attend, we would greatly appreciate their donation and support of auction items. Some of the things that we are looking for include:
· Experiences – i.e. Derby, Oaks, UK Games, Golf, Pro-Sports, Limousine, SEC trip, etc.
· Vacations – i.e. a condo someone owns and are willing to donate for a week, lake house, house boat, hotels, etc
· Alcohol Related – actual bottles of alcohol to put in baskets, packages from a local distillery, brewery or winery, etc.
· Horse Related – bridals, autographed photos, horse farm tours, etc.
· Anything KY and/or UK – apparel, signs, glasses/cups, hats, etc,
· Holiday Related – i.e. Christmas Tree gift certificate, decorations, tickets
· Signed Sports Memorabilia – i.e. signed Football, Basketball, Helmet, Jersey, etc.
· Restaurant Gift Certificates
· Hotel Gift Certificates
· Jewelry – i.e. diamond earrings, necklace, etc.
Many people own businesses or know someone who does and it may not be listed above. That doesn’t mean we don’t want them to donate…we are grateful for anything as these donations from generous people truly are what makes the fund able to continue to support those in need. The deadline for donations is November 1, 2018.
Attached is a letter explaining the Fund/Auction and the 5013C Document for tax purposes. Please have anyone donating an item email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call my cell at 859-963-3438. This will allow me to work with them to complete the form for Markey and also keep track of what we have.
Of course, if someone cannot make the benefit, or donate items, yet wishes to donate, we greatly appreciate that as well. Here’s a link to donate directly to the Cathy Coop Fund: https://ukmarkey.org/how-to-help/partners-in-hope/cathy-coop-fund/
We greatly appreciate your donation and support to help raise money for this special cause.